Top Children’s Books About Egg Donation
Explaining Egg Donors to Your Children
Stories have always been a powerful communication tool, and that’s no different when we’re talking to little ones about about how they were created. Whether you’re an egg donor, surrogate or intended parent, you likely will be excited and proud to tell your current and future children about your decision. However, finding a way to explain something so scientific to such a young mind can feel challenging.
Children are full of curiosity, even at a young age. As a parent, you can educate your child on the subject of their birth story or the birth story of another child without it being an uncomfortable topic of conversation. One way to broach the subject, especially with younger children, is through topical books. As assisted reproduction grows in popularity, more and more authors are penning books for children that explore the topics of egg donation in an age-appropriate way.
Stories to Share
Here are a few books to consider, including those that can open the door to discussion with slightly older kids.
- “A Tiny Itsy Bitsy Gift of Life, An Egg Donor Story for Boys” by Carmen Martinez Jover: Egg donation is explained through the context of a family of rabbits in this touching story.
- “One Little Egg” by Kimberly F. DeMeo: Readers follow the journey of an egg all the way from the “Donor Egg Academy.”
- “The Pea That Was Me: An Egg-Donation Story” by Kimberly Kluger-Bell: This is one of many books in a series that helps parents explain birth stories.
- “A Very Special Lady: A Story about IVF, an Egg Donor and a Little Girl” by Nell Carswell: Discover a beautifully illustrated story about “a very special lady.”
- “Mommy, Was Your Tummy Big?” by Caroline Nadel: Great for small children, this book explains egg donation through a mom and baby elephant.
- “A Part Was Given and an Angel was Born” by Rozanne Nathalie: With phrases that lift the heaviness of the topic, this is a sweet story about egg donation.
- “How We Became a Family” (Version Egg Donor — Twins) by Teresa Villegas: Find a combination of science and a love story in this helpful book for parents.
- “Hope & Will Have A Baby: The Gift of Egg Donation” by Irene Celcer: This is part of a series addressing various topics with subtitles such as “The Gift of Sperm Donation” and “The Gift of Surrogacy.”