GG Supports: Family Equality Council
Growing Generations has a firm belief in giving back to the communities we call home. Frequently our staff becomes involved in charitable organizations that impact the communities in which they live. More commonly than not, these organizations provide services or care for families and children. One such organization the Growing Generations is proud to support is the Family Equality Council (FEC).
Founded in 1979 by a small group of gay dads seeking out other gay parents with the intent to form a network of support, today the FEC works with lawmakers to try and secure equal rights for all parents regardless of their sexual orientation. Their mission is to focus on, “Lived and legal equality for all LGBTQ families.”
Through legal work on both federal and state levels, advocacy campaigns, and an expansive calendar of community events, the FEC seeks to raise awareness, support equality for all families, and provide information to LGBTQ people wishing to pursue parenthood.
FEC enhances education through a variety of programs including:
- “Voices of Our Children”– A FEC submitted and well-known Amicus Brief currently being reviewed by the U.S. Supreme Court as well as many state level courts in several marriage equality cases. In the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and Proposition 8 cases of 2014, Justice Anthony Kennedy referenced the brief in his comments. It was Justice Kennedy who issued the tie breaking vote in favor of LGBTQ families.
- Outspoken Generation– A wildly popular program placing the microphone in the hands of children of LGBTQ parents. Through their own narratives, these young people are tearing down walls and building bridges.
- Family Week– Held annually in Provincetown, MA, this event brings hundreds of LGBTQ families and their children together in one place to continue to create a community of support. Smaller regional events are also held across the United States.
- Free Legal Clinics– Currently available to LGBTQ families in the southern region, the FEC teams with local University law programs to offer free legal aid to families in the greatest need.
- Ask an Expert– An online forum providing same day answers to questions in a variety of areas including legal matters, family forming, safe schools, and LGBTQ parenting specific issues.
- Inclusive Schools– A program geared towards helping local schools become inclusive to the LGBTQ community and children with LGBTQ parents.
- Snap it and Send it– Is an FEC app for smartphones that allows LGBTQ families to snap pictures of forms that do not represent LGBTQ families. FEC then works with the producer of the form to update it.
Growing Generations is proud to be one of Family Equality Council’s many well-known national corporate sponsors.
Growing Generations’ President Erica Horton said, ““As a child of an LGBTQ parent and an LGBTQ parent myself, I am proud to have the opportunity to help create families like mine and help to ensure that those families can thrive in an environment that supports and respects them.”
Many Growing Generations’ children are proud members of the “Outspoken Generation” and many of the Growing Generations’ staff continue to participate in family creation and support panels presented by the Family Equality Council.
To learn more about the Family Equality Council, please visit www.familyequality.org.