From Match to Delivery: What every surrogate should know
From matching until delivery, your surrogacy journey will likely take 18 months or longer. It could be shorter, but it is safe to count on a minimum of 18 months. As you can see, it’s really important that you are committed for the long haul. Many surrogates will participate in more than one transfer before they get pregnant, this is not unusual. Every surrogate thinks they will get pregnant on the first try, but many won’t, so if you do not get pregnant, please don’t worry.
At the same time, it is really important that you are on board for the marathon. While we don’t expect you to put your life on hold for the next 18 months or so, there will be days that surrogacy will have to come first and those days can be very inconvenient. For example, you may have a day where you have a million things planned, maybe even a special event at your child’s school, and that day you wake up with swollen ankles and the doctor puts you on bed rest for three days. Like any marathon, some miles will be easy, some hard, some boring, some exhilarating, so it is important to keep your eye on the target . . . seeing the parents holding their baby and becoming a family.
Keeping all this in mind, it is super important that you:
- stay committed
- be willing to be inconvenienced
- keep your eye on the end result
We are here to help and be your partners:
There are many layers of support as you go through this journey:
- You will have a Case Specialist who will be your point person as you go through the surrogacy. They will help you with all of the logistics, timing, appointments, etc. If you have any questions they are your go-to.
- You will also have the Psych Team at Fertility Counseling Services who will support you in a number of ways: you can call or email anytime you need anything, we will call you at different markers in your journey, we have monthly surrogate support calls where all the surrogates get together on the phone with me and share their experiences and questions. Lastly, we have an online support system where you will get a monthly email reminding you to log in and once there, you will take a survey to let me know how you are doing. The survey is required, but most surrogates tell me that it is really fun and quick.
- You will have the nurses at the doctors’ office who will be there to help you with all of the medical aspects of the process.
Surrogacy is a collaboration of many people all coming together to help someone become a parent and YOU are central to that team and we are your partners!!