A Rough Timeline for Intended Parents
Making the leap to become a parent through surrogacy comes with a plethora of emotions. You’ll experience everything from joy and doubt to happiness, fear and perhaps most of all, excitement! Now that you’ve taken the first steps towards parenthood it’s highly likely you want to know how long it’s going to be before you could be welcoming your new baby home. Here’s a look at just how quickly things could happen.
1. Consult. The first step is to talk to us. We’ll schedule a time to talk with you about what you want and try to answer any questions you may have.
2. Within a week we send the intended parents to a medical lab for some preliminary testing.
3. Next you pay a retainer fee and sign some legal documents. This gives us permission to start building your family. This retainer can be done anytime, including during your initial consultation.
4. Within 48 hours you’ll be given online access to your client portal. Here you will upload photos of yourselves and have the opportunity to introduce yourself to your potential surrogate. You will also answer questions relevant to the process including views on multiples, selective reduction, and birth preferences.
5. You can expect to spend anywhere between the next one to six months reviewing profiles of surrogates and egg donors. Your profile will be sent to surrogates for review. Once you have been selected by a surrogate, you will receive her profile. If the approval is mutual, you’ll move forward to a match meeting.
6. Within two weeks of matching you can expect to do some more medical work for your screening and genetic collection. This usually includes sperm from one partner.
7. You’ll spend the next two or three months in legal contracts and funding your trust account.
8. The medical phase of the process can take anywhere from 45 to 60 days and culminates with the transfer of your embryo into your surrogate’s uterus.
9. Two weeks later we find out if the transfer was successful. In the event that it is, you’ve got anywhere from six to nine months of pregnancy ahead of you!
10. During the final trimester of the pregnancy we will work with you on parental rights.
10 Simple steps that add up to a family. And it could happen for you in roughly two years, maybe less!
Of course all timelines are rough estimates only. Some parents progress through the process much more quickly than others based on many circumstances. Whatever speed your journey takes, know that Growing Generations and your support team within will be with you every step of the way.